Adapted from https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Basic-Bread-9082781
- The original recipe asks you to preheat your oven right away, however that isn't necessary. Instead, if your house is particularly cold or to speed up the rising process, set your oven to the lowest setting then turn it off before placing the dough inside to proof (with the door slightly open).
- I have made this with oat milk instead of whole milk and coconut oil instead of butter and the bread turned out great!
- I replaced a third of my whole-wheat bread flour with white all-purpose flour since I wanted a more mild flavour.
Makes two loaves.
- olive oil
- water, warm (40°C – 45°C); 240 mL
- active dry yeast; 2 tsp.
- butter, unsalted; 30 g
- milk, whole or dairy-free; 240 mL
- honey; 40 g
- salt; 1 ½ tsp.
- bread flour, whole-wheat; 560 g
- all-purpose flour, white; 275 g
Grease two 9" x 5" load pans lightly with olive oil. Attach the dough hook to your stand mixer. Whisk the two flours together.
Warm the mixer bowl by rinsing with some hot tap water. Pour in warm water and sprinkle the yeast over - let stand for about 5 minutes. In a small sauce pan, combine butter, milk, honey, and salt and heat over low heat until butter is melted - be careful not to boil.
In the mixing bowl, add the warm milk mixture and two cups of the flour mixture. Turn the machine to speed 2 and mix until a batter-like consistency is acheived (2 – 3 minutes). Add the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time and continue mixing until the dough forms a ball and clings to the hook. Mix for another 3 – 4 minutes - dough should be smooth and elastic and slightly sticky.
On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a ball. Coat a large bowl lightly with olive oil and place dough in the bowl. Turn the ball of dough over to coat with oil. Cover bowl with a clean towel and let rise until double in size.
Punch down dough in bowl and turn onto lightly floured surface, divide into two and let rest for 10 minutes. Pat each ball into an oval, fold into thirds and place into greased loaf pans. Cover pans with a clean towel and let rise until double in size.
Preheat oven to 220°C.
Place pans in oven and reduce heat to 190°C and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 87°C. Loaves will sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and allow to fully cool before slicing.